This year the Shops Auxiliary Division at the WCH celebrate their 90th birthday – what an amazing achievement! The Hospital Shops began when a team of doctors’ wives joined together to open the ‘auxiliary kiosk’ to provide refreshments for outpatients and visitors to the hospital. Over the decades, this service has continued and expanded enormously.
In 1927, with only two volunteers required each day, the profit for the year was just one pound.
Today, the shops contribute around $400,000 to the Friends of the WCH fundraising campaign every year, and the team of volunteers has grown to approximately 130, staffing both Rainbows and Vic’s Coffee Shop.
Since these humble beginnings, the Shops Division has donated more than $10 million to the hospital to support equipment purchases, Friends Fellowships, quality improvements and the new free mobile phone charging station that will soon feature in the hospital’s Paediatric Emergency Department.
None of this could have been achieved without the amazing commitment of the volunteers some of whom have given incredible service to the shops over the past 90 years. Currently, there are several volunteers who have made a contribution to the shops over a 30 year period and many more who have received Life Membership for 15 years of dedicated service.
The volunteer shops are always looking for new volunteers that would like to increase their skills and meet new friends whilst making a real difference to the lives of South Australian children. If you would like to join this dedicated team please click on the “Get Involved” link on the site or call the Friends office on 81618445.
The spirit of the Friends Shop Volunteers is 90 years young and still going strong.