In 1927 a group of doctor's wives joined together to provide refreshments for outpatients and visitors to the Hospital. From this small beginning, the Shops Auxiliary has grown to a group of more than 130 volunteers of different ages and backgrounds.
Volunteers can work behind the scenes in the kitchen or in customer service roles, for as little as one shift per week, or more, to suit their commitments. Vic’s Coffee Shop and Rainbows Kiosk donate approximately $400,000 to the hospital each year for much-needed medical equipment. Our volunteers form close and long-lasting friendships while knowing they are contributing to the health and well-being of children in SA.
In 1980, a group of women - some of whom were past trainees of the Queen Victoria Hospital in Rose Park, and led by Margaret Higginbotham (herself a past midwife) - started a fundraising committee in aid of the hospital.
Initially called the Unley Park Queen Victoria Auxiliary, they raised monies by holding many functions - very successful Melbourne Cup Luncheons, Plays, Film Nights, Bridge Days and Morning Teas. Venues over the years have been varied but include Carrick Hill, Ayers House and the Adelaide Botanic Gardens.
In 1993 when the Queen Victoria Hospital and the Adelaide Children's Hospital amalgamated, the Queen Victoria Auxiliary (QVA) became part of the Friends of the Women's and Children's Hospital Auxiliaries Inc. Funds raised by the QVA particularly go towards much needed equipment in the Women's and Babies' Division.
These days our activities are varied, however, Film Nights and Bridge Days are popular, and a fabulous Fashion Parade towards the end of the year is usually sold out.
The Auxiliary meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, usually at the hospital, and we invite anyone interested to join.
The Blackwood/Belair Auxiliary formed in 1962. There are currently 15 members and meetings are held monthly.
The Blackwood/Belair Auxiliary is renowned for its famous and delicous produce which is made by members and sold at various Markets and Stalls. Games Days and Morning Teas are also held which contributes greatly to the purchase of much needed medical equipment.
New members are welcome!
The Cudlee Creek Auxiliary began in 1966, later joining with Kersbrook to become the Cudlee Creek/Kersbrook Friends of the Women’s and Children’s Hospital Auxiliary.
With 12 members, the Auxiliary’s major fundraiser is an annual luncheon, and most recently they have organised a Mother’s Day luncheon/ high tea. Whenever possible they hold a stall at local functions to make extra money. The Auxiliary is always happy to welcome new members from Cudlee Creek, Kersbrook or surrounding areas.
The Port Adelaide Auxiliary of the Women’s and Children’s Hospital formed in 1958 by 10 enthusiastic ladies volunteering to hold fundraisers for the Hospital. Now with 29 members, we hold three or four functions throughout the year being luncheons, fashion parades, concerts, and BBQs at Bunnings. Many businesses in the Western suburbs provide great support with our functions, and all funds raised goes towards new equipment.
We also attend a state conference each year that includes all the auxiliaries. This is a fantastic day with amazing guest speakers and is a great chance to meet other members from all around the state.
Volunteering with the Friends is fun and very rewarding, and a great way for Friends to meet new Friends. We would love to welcome new members, and we meet the first Monday of each month at 11.00am at the Grange Bowling Club.
The Victor Harbor/Goolwa Auxiliary was formed in October 1955.
Its 18 members meet 5 times a year, making an important contribution to raising funds for much needed equipment for the Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Some members’ families have needed the specialist services of the Hospital, and were very grateful for the excellent care provided.
The Hospital’s profile in the seaside Fleurieu Community is raised by various fundraising activities - movie nights, Easter and Mother’s Day raffles, card days, Christmas Dance, Melbourne Cup Lunch, morning tea with guest speaker, and Christmas ‘Happy Hour” Drinks.
We would warmly welcome new Auxiliary members, whether they wish to attend meetings and assist in organising fundraising events, or just prefer to receive information and support events.
Adelaide, Hills & South Coast Honour Roll
Years of Service
We acknowledge the following Friends for achieving significant milestones in service and support to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
|Maureen Allen||Shops Auxiliary|
|Ian Burden||Shops Auxiliary|
|John Davey||Shops Auxiliary|
|Jodie Hoffman||Shops Auxiliary|
|Thea Miller||Shops Auxiliary|
|David Sandland||Shops Auxiliary|
|Jeffrey Binding||Shops Auxiliary|
|Margaret Cox||Shops Auxiliary|
|Morva Fawcett||Shops Auxiliary|
|Beverley Graham||Shops Auxiliary|
|Evelyn Grigg||Shops Auxiliary|
|Maureen Lorraine||Shops Auxiliary|
|Margaret Suneson||Shops Auxiliary|
|Colleen Thorpe||Shops Auxiliary|
|Jan van Diemen||Shops Auxiliary|
|Carmel Wisking||Shops Auxiliary|
|Pat Zealand||Shops Auxiliary|
|Barbara Bowering||Shops Auxiliary|
|Maureen Cass||Shops Auxiliary|
|Joan McLernon||Shops Auxiliary|
|Helen Rowe||Port Adelaide|
|Kaye Steer||Port Adelaide|
|Shirley Meldrum||Port Adelaide|